Remember back when I did a Let’s Play of Thang Global? Yeah, I don’t either. The point is that the game is still active, although it apparently has been revived once again. For those of you who don’t know, I will try to explain the story of Thang as I recall it.
Thang originally came out back in 2005-06. I have played this version, and I can tell you it’s not much different nowadays than back then. It was shut down in 2010-ish after little feedback and activity from OnGamePort, the “developers”. In fact, I believe there was at least three months of inactivity before the game was shut down. The game was revived in 2011-12 by Jaca Entertainment. After I stopped Let’s Playing the game in early 2012, I later came to find out that the new website, http://www.thang-global.com, was now down. I messaged one of my budz who were a players in the game and got an answer saying something like the following:
I was going to try to find the comment, which I believe was a private message on YouTube, but I couldn’t. Why? Because YouTube is fucking retarded and have deleted the private message as their new Google+ system has taken its place. Yeah, you know, I would actually like to read my old messages sometimes, YouShit. Assholes.
Anyway, the game was given a new website: http://www.thangusa.com. The new website is still up as of 7th December, 2014 (10:39 PM).
The reason I am writing this post is to give the game publicity, obviously. However, I am also writing this to give my opinions about it. Whether this post will reach anyone is irrelevant at this point, because I have come this far in writing this post. So, let’s begin.
- First of all, the controls in the game are terrible. Using the WASD-keys isn’t an option. Rather, players must control their characters with their mice. This would be fine, if not for the fact that it’s often unresponsive; I find I often have to change the camera angle to get my character to move again. By the way, the camera must be rotated by use of the arrow keys. This is not cool when I have to respectively move either my left or right hand from the left side of the keyboard, where the most used keys are, to the arrow keys or from the mouse, which I constantly use, to the arrow keys.
- Hai rings are stupid. The game gives not explanation as to how to use them and what they do when using them to refine items. There are absolutely no guides anywhere saying what they do, yet there are nine levels of hai rings, each level having two whatevers indicated by (+1) or (+2). This means there are a total of 27 different hai ring types. That’s nice, but what the hell do they do? Do L9(+2) hai rings give a better bonus than L7(+1). How does it work? Fuck’s sake, in Dekaron, for instance, you can put in socket gems in addition to the argate to improve your chances. It also shows the player the CHANCE OF SUCCESS, even taking into account the extra success chance given by the socket gems.
- The inventory is an absolute mess. This is yet another game that could really use stackable items. I hate when games don’t allow this. For instance, why do four hawk feathers take up as much space as a piece of leather armor? This is nothing but a hindrance to players. This is made worse when items constantly drop. Hey, I would leave the items on the ground, BUT I NEED MONEY TO DO ANYTHING! I need money to refine, repair, put items for sale, buy spells, buy potions, get new gear, et cetera. Are you telling me I can’t have money? Of course, if items were easier to farm like this, they would decrease in price. However, the current refinement chance is so ridiculous and prices of even the simplest of ingredients so high, this is getting to be an issue.
- Refinement sucks. Seriously. I already covered Hai rings, but this is about the refinement process itself. Not only does it require a shit-load of items, but it doesn’t show you the chance of success. The refinement process is so damn stale and uninteresting, it’s ridiculous. Besides, ARE WE CREATING A WHOLE NEW FUCKING ITEM EVERY TIME WE REFINE? Why does it take so many resources?
- Stop adding new areas and focus on the issues at hand. Why do the developers not address the issues we have, or the issues at least I have? The controls, for instance. Shit, I even found a duplication glitch. Granted, it was only client-side, but it temporarily duplicated my stone sword when I tried to move it and place it over a red pebble or something. It’s like the game has a built-in CheatEngine!
- Advertisement is a damn issue. This game has absolutely no advertisement campaigns, and the community suffers as a consequence thereof! There are almost no people in the lower-level areas: Forest of Darkness, Forest of Chaos, Kine Desert and Entrance to Swamp! I haven’t even seen anybody in the first three, and in FoC I have only seen a couple guys killing off that crazy red Jabak boss. In EoS, there was a lone guy killing off Rombuacs. Seriously, back in 2007-08, there were plenty of people running around in these areas! I had to fight for my own hais spawned by the Hai-Ul, and even got someone pissed at me for nabbing their L5 hai ring at the Jabak-zone in FoD! These days, those luxuries are long gone, <!– becaues because nobody fucking joins the game anymore; only veterans play. Try advertisement. It works
most of the time… sometimes. Still, it’s worth a try. Hey! I’m doing it right now! FOR FREE! WHERE’S MY FREE LUNE?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
- Oh my God, the chat in this game needs an overhaul as well. You need to be level 30 to shout and level 50 to roar? Give me a break! Why are these limitations here.Yeah, it’s to prevent spamming. Alright. Well, I don’t see why people constantly saying “WTS BLAHBLAHBLAH 4M EA!” isn’t considered spam. A trade chat would have been be nice.
- The environmental effects suck. It’s just an annoying gray fog. Thankfully, you can turn it off, but it still sucks.
- I hate the trading in this game. I’m not talking about conventional player-to-player trading, but the vending system. You can sell things here, but you can’t request items. For instance, you could set up a list of items you would like to buy and how much money you are willing to offer for it. I recall another MMORPG I have played that did this, but I can’t recall which. I rather like that idea.
- Skills are ridiculous. Why are some of them only available through monster drops? It’s a SKILL: an abstract term describing what someone is able to do. It’s not a tradable item. For fuck’s sake, you can even trade a fully leveled skill for money, and yet you still have to retrain it? This is not how skills work, ‘tards. I don’t care what anyone else says: This is not a good system. One could come up with the argument that someone trading their “skill” to another player is a form of “teaching” that player how to use said “skill”. But then, why does the former “owner” of that “skill” lose his/her ability to perform and utilize said “skill”? It’s asinine! And no, they’re not spells. They’re fucking skills. The only spells in this game are performed by the On-Du-Sham, but this system applies to both them and the two other classes, Rian and Kanhoa.
- Lune stackables are also a serious issue, because people who don’t want to or can’t pay for lune can’t have stackable potions. Right now, I have a bunch of +120 HP and +120 MP potions sitting around that I occasionally use. I got these for free when I started, though I’m reluctant to use them up, because I know I’ll regret it if I do. I suppose the fact that I bother writing such a long
articleblog post about the game should inspire me to donate to the game for lune, but it doesn’t. That’s because the game isn’t worth my money if these issues remain unaddressed. Oh, and why is it called “donating”, when one in reality is actually purchasing something in exchange for that “donation”. It’s not a donation, ThangUSA developers: It’s a purchase.
P.S.: If the links to the database above are broken as a result of the website’s inevitable shutdown, refer to the following Wayback Machine links: +120 HP | +120 MP
I could probably think of more things, but it’s 00:03 AM right now, and I really don’t want to continue, sitting here all night. Hopefully, someone reads this, particularly someone with connections to the developers. I’m not going to “advertise” this post anywhere, because I am stubborn enough to believe someone will find the post. I don’t fucking know.